AKB48

ruthyruth

AKB48

Post by ruthyruth »

Looks like the entire AKB48 organization has NOT been invited to this year's Kohaku.

NHK sites "lack of a single hit from any of the groups in 2020". Maybe an AKB48 group(s) will get invited to the Momoclo Kohaku...

Yahoo News Japan Article (In Japanese) - November 16, 2020

Mattthecat
Administrator

Re: AKB48

Post by Mattthecat »

All 46 groups though
Not surprising that way as the pendulum had swung their way over the past years

But Babymetal?
What did they do the past year?

And NiziU???

I mean it's nice that idol groups are represented but I don't get the selection

ruthyruth

Re: AKB48

Post by ruthyruth »

My guess is that there may be backroom deals going on since the beginning. There are plenty of cases where an act's last 12 month track record played no roll in NHK's inviting them.

My favorite overlook by NHK was Momoclo and Momoclo's defiant reaction of creating their own live New Year's Eve show and morphing it into a Kohaku of their own.

Momoclo's actions I find awesome and historically courageous considering way back when, when Pink Lady turned down an invitation to the Kohaku at the pinnacle of their success, reporting that they'd be creating their own New Year's live show. NHK was such a power house then and insulted that a couple of broads would slap them in the face like that, summarily drummed them out of show business in a tsunami of shame. Pink Lady much later regrouped, but until Momoclo nobody ever dared making their own New Year's show in the shadow of NHK.

Return to “48/46”